
On a recent road trip we went to College Station for the day and decided that we were going to visit the George Bush Presidential Library. It was actually not too bad at all. There was a new exhibit and it was a dress collection from the Red Dress Collection fashion show that they have in New York every year to raise awareness about Heart Disease in women. There were 12 celebrity dresses and they were all beautiful but there were also 13 First Ladies dresses and I was on a mission to see Jackie's dress. You could look at some of the dresses and tell who they belonged too - Nancy Reagan was a total giveaway, if you have ever seen her...this dress was her!
This is Jackie Kennedy Onassis' dress. Hers was the only one encased. I know its Jackie but I never found out why hers was "so special" to be in a case.

Here are all of the 1st Ladies dresses (Nancy Reagan's is the polka dotted number in the back off center)

These are the celebrity dresses - some were beautiful and stunning and some where kind of plain Jane. The one that Danica Patrick wore was almost like a summer dress or a dress that you would wear every day while the others were gowns.

Here is my favorite of the celebrity dresses - Katie Couric's dress

If you are in the area, this exhibit runs until August 14, 2011 and it is really pretty eye candy. The Presidential exhibit was pretty outstanding as well. Barbara Bush to me looks like a grandma should look. She is my new favorite :) It was interesting learning about the families of both George and Barbara and how they met. How he got to where he was to become president. If you go, allow yourself at least 2 hours to walk through. We went a little late and had to rush though the Gulf War part which was close to the end. Don't miss the gifts from other leaders that were given during visits either.
This is the statue outside of the library. Its pretty cool and has replicas of the Berlin Wall around the bottom of the horses. Inside the library there are real pieces of the wall that was donated.

I decided that I was going to use my "Red" photos for my layout this month for My Sketch World. I love how they layout turned out but my lighting on this one really sucks. I of course waited until the last minute and had my daughter take the photos...they were way crooked so this one ended up in my bathroom floor with no flash because my photos were glossy and the glare was horrible.
Here is Lucy's sketch:

Red

Journaling reads: The Red Dress Collection at the George Bush Library in College Station. Along with all the 1st Ladies dresses and the celebrity dresses they also had areas to raise awareness for heart disease.
I also listed the "owners" of the dresses around the edge of my paper in the order that they are in the photos.
I used Black, Kisses and French Vanilla Bazzill. A Heart lace doily, bling, a Maya Rd dress form chipboard, Glossy Accents, Red Glitter, our tickets to get in the exhibit. Letters are by Heidi Swapp.


3 comments:
Wow! What a neat trip.... I love all the red,and her dress is (of course) so classic.
That's funny you said it wasn't too bad. Is that because your not a museum nut or a democrat. LOL. You couldn't pay my husband to go inside! Lovely dresses, Jackie's taste holds up over time for sure.
oh, i would love to take that trip! your layout commemorating all the red dresses is fabulous
Post a Comment