Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Dream Job

This week for Who's That Girl our prompt was "Dream Job". What is it if we haven't achieved it? What would we do? If we have our dream job already how does it feel doing it? This is the mysterious 4th layout that I mentioned in my last post.

This prompt fell right into a sad time for me and it really hit home this time around. It was one of those layouts that just speak to you and you know that you want it nice and simple so that the photo gives you a hint but the real star is the journaling. My puppy and kitty are a generic photo from online that is used for many Veterinary clinics greeting cards. In real life, my cat hates one of my dogs and won't be near him plus he doesn't like to sit for pictures anymore. My older dog has seizures and will turn his head when he sees the camera because of the possibility of a flash (even though I don't use one with him)...the flash of light can cause him to have a seizure in case your wondering. So with my dysfunctional four legged sons, a cute little pic with them wasn't going to work.

Photobucket

My journaling reads: I can say that I have already worked my dream job. I started working in a Vet Clinic when I was 21 years old. I was a receptionist until my 3rd clinic when the Dr. took me under his wing and taught me almost everything I know about Veterinary medicine. My favorite things about the clinic was puppy breath and kitten mews. My least favorite thing-stupid pet owners-the ones that didn't deserve to have a pet. I left the clinic scene after 10 years and moved to the Veterinary drug side. I still miss the action and the ability to ♥ on all the 4 legged cuties that walk through the door.

I used Java and Ivy Bazzill, Pink Paislee Office Lingo and Spring Fling PP, Ribbon, Bling, MM Pet Metal Paws, Maya Rd chipboard doghouse, MM Vanilla Paint, I used a Chocolate Zig Pen. Letters are Thickers (of course)

What made this layout close to home is on Sunday, July 18, 2010 Dr. Richards passed away. He was the one who brought me in and trained me the way that he wanted me. I learned so much from him and I have the utmost respect for him still to this day. I left him because it was time to move on. He understood that I needed more money and insurance for my girls. I still called on him because when I came to my job that I have now, they became my clinic and I am their go to person. I still did research for him on new drugs. I will miss him so much, just walking into his office seeing him with his feet up on his desk, hands laced over his stomach and watching CNN...that is how I always think of him.

This is Dr. Richards, Elizabeth, and myself about 2001. This photo was taken by Doc's investment broker for his portfolio. He made a copy for all of us and this one hangs in my hallway. This was taken with my cell phone so in real life it isn't so grainy.

Photobucket

I still talk to Elizabeth, she worked for him for right at 15 years as his office manager. She is my best friend, shoulders work both ways with us and I love her with all my heart. This is us shortly after the funeral. I know only a scrapbooker would have a plan for a photo after a funeral. This photo will be made into black and white and will be framed in the same type of frame and hung under my photo of the 3 of us in the hallway.

Photobucket

So in essence, I have had my dream job and even 8 1/2 years later...I miss it. I don't think that I could go back though. I don't know if I could work for another Veterinarian. Hug your 4 legged children (and 2 legged for that matter) they do honestly love you unconditionally and want nothing more than your love and attention plus a few treats in return.

5 comments:

Katie said...

what a wonderful layout! so sad to hear of the dr.'s passing.

Beeceecreativity said...

sorry to hear.. but too cute layout.

~jan said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and mentor. What a beautiful layout. Puppy breath is one of my favorite smells too!

toni said...

omgosh, girl, tears here...what a beautiful LO, and what a wonderful story to go with it. You're amazing. Thanks for taking care of those little 4 legged friends.
I'm sorry to hear of your mentor's passing, but what an impact such a wonderful man left on your life.

Vicki said...

What an adorable LO, Carla! And, it is so special to you, that makes it even better!