Sunday, November 8, 2009

Changing Directions - photo heavy

Here I sit at 7:45 in the morning on a Sunday. The house is quiet and my coffee is brewing. I have been thinking about this for a while and I think it is the way to go from now on. Scrapbooking to me is more than taking pictures and putting them on a page. It is taking the pictures, all pictures and using those whether they make it on a layout or not to tell a story. I used to carry my Sony Digital around with me everywhere and I was taking pics of random stuff that "spoke" to me all the time...and then I quit. I look at my photo batches now and they are groups of photos that are for a particular thing going on at that time and I have gaps of missing memories. I have decided that I am going to start carrying a camera with me at all times and I am going to make my blog into a more "friendly" place to be instead of the occasional news update or my layouts for the week. Sure I am still scrapping but I am living too.

With that said, I have finished my 2 DT layouts that I will post later this week after they go up on their sites and that leaves me 1 layout to do for the year. I am trying to think of a layout to do that means a lot to me personally...as in myself.

As you may have read before I am a beach girl/water girl. Being in Texas and close to the Gulf, the beach has always been a part of me. I feel that I am drawn to it and it makes it all right again in my head with everything I am working through. Yesterday my husband and I got up bright and early, left the kids at home and drove the hour and a half to Galveston. I have been wanting to go but since we moved its the drive I hate going and coming. This is the 1st time we had been to Galveston since Hurrincane Ike last year on Sept. 13th. It was sad, they've came a long way but its not the Galveston that I knew.

**Click on the pics and they will open up in my photobucket. I left them a little bigger than usual so you could see more.

The day in general:
Photobucket

The Seawall:
Up and down the seawall there are cranes and big trucks moving concrete blocks back where they go and sand around. There was hardly anyone on the beach at all even though it was a bright and sunny day. There were surfers but not as many as you would expect for a nice day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hooters:
Hooters was a place that we always went when we were down there. There was honestly nothing like sitting on the deck over the ocean and enjoying fried food covered in sauce washing it down with a cold Miller Lite. It was just peaceful really. Hooters lost her fight at around 1am on Sept. 13, 2009 and along with her went the Balinese Room which is where a movie was made, gambling was done way back when and I went on a tour with my mom. To get to the club it was a lonnnnng way out there. This is what is left...

Photobucket

The Flagship:
When I was little, my dad would take us to Galveston and we would have to go to the Flagship Hotel. Not to stay but to fish off of the pier behind the hotel. We would stay forever and catch everything from puffer fish to sharks. I remember the pregnant women always wanting the sharks. I remember reading on my blackberry during the hurricane (no lights) that the Flagship had been damaged badly and there were people in the hotel who stayed - like always. This is what it still looks like today:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We took the ferry over to Boliver and it was wierd to be there. That is where most of the damage you saw on the TV was with all the houses missing. There were places that there was nothing but junk piled up and then there were places that things looked normal. I didn't take pics because I was the one with my mouth opened just looking around so if you saw a blue Chevy truck (Stella) and a woman like mention above riding in the passenger seat...that was me. We pulled into our regular beach turn off and the dunes are gone, the beach is flat and there is something out there in the water that I don't remember at all.

The Ferry Ride:
Photobucket

See the fin? Not a shark my friend, Dolphins!!! I have never seen dolphins while on the ferry. They were happy and jumping all around. They are quick too...this is all that I got.

Photobucket

The view:
Photobucket

In Boliver:
Photobucket

Photobucket

It was an over all great day. We were gone 6 hours total and I really needed to get there and stand on the beach. The breeze was cool and the waves were perfect. I found the best shells that I think I have ever found. I want to go back already.

No comments: